JUNO BEACH, Fla. – Ranked No. 1 among utilities nationwide in energy efficiency, Florida Power & Light Company is offering weekly tips to help customers conserve energy and save money this holiday season. Last week, we featured ways to conserve while cooking. This week, as the mercury drops, FPL offers tips for saving money while staying warm. Although Florida is blessed with mild winters, it takes more energy to heat your home than it does to cool it so keep these simple energy-efficiency tips in mind to save throughout the cooler months.
FPL’s Helpful Holiday Tips Part 2: Stay Warm and Save Money
- Heat your home at 68 degrees or cooler with the thermostat fan switch on "auto." To save even more, lower your thermostat to 65 degrees or cooler at bedtime or when you're away from home. Don’t forget to wear cozy sweaters to stay warm!
- Clean or change your A/C filter once a month. Many homes in Florida use strip heating in their air conditioning units, which have to work harder to heat the house. A clogged filter makes your A/C work harder than it has to.
- Reduce hot water temperature. Set your water heater to the "normal" setting or 120 degrees, unless the owner's manual for your dishwasher requires a higher setting.
- Seal up leaks. Caulk leaks around windows and doors. Look for places where you have pipes, vents or electrical conduits that go through the wall, ceiling or floor. Caulk works best on small gaps. Your hardware store should have products to close the larger gaps.
- Stay safe this winter. Do not resort to using a barbecue or camp stove for heat. Such equipment is designed for outdoor use only and presents significant safety hazards when used in any enclosed or partially enclosed setting. Besides the obvious fire hazard, they can produce high levels of carbon monoxide - a deadly gas that you cannot smell or see. If you start to feel sick, dizzy, or weak, get to fresh air RIGHT AWAY. DO NOT DELAY. Carbon monoxide can rapidly lead to full incapacitation and death. If you experience serious symptoms, get medical attention immediately.
Visit www.FPL.com to learn more about other ways you can save in your home, during the holidays and throughout the year.
Florida Power & Light Company
Florida Power & Light Company (FPL) is the largest electric utility in Florida and one of the largest rate-regulated utilities in the United States. FPL serves 4.5 million customer accounts in Florida and is a leading employer in the state with nearly 11,000 employees. The company consistently outperforms national averages for service reliability while customer bills are well below the national average. A clean energy leader, FPL has one of the lowest emissions profiles and the No. 1 energy efficiency program among utilities nationwide. FPL is a subsidiary of Juno Beach, Fla.-based FPL Group, Inc. (NYSE: FPL). For more information, visitwww.FPL.com.