The latest: Tropical Storm Idalia continues to intensify on its path toward Florida and is expected to make landfall as a major hurricane Wednesday. FPL is making final preparations and strategically pre-positioning crews and equipment.
Why it matters: Idalia has the potential to impact a large portion of Florida. Customers should be prepared for hurricane-strength wind, heavy rainfall, potential storm surge and widespread power outages. FPL is committed to working around the clock to restore service to all of its customers.
What FPL is doing:
- Mobilizing our restoration workforce and strategically pre-positioning crews and equipment to speed restoration.
- Finalizing logistics for staging sites in the areas most likely to be affected.
- Coordinating our response with county and state emergency operations centers.
What customers should do before the storm:
- Safety is always FPL’s first priority. Customers should make it their top priority, too.
- Follow the advice of federal, state and local authorities.
- Customers dependent on electric-powered, life-sustaining medical equipment should review their family emergency plans for backup power or make arrangements to relocate now.
- Quickly download the FPL app for on-the-go, instant and secure account access by texting the word “App” to MyFPL (69375).
- For more safety tips, visit FPL.com/Storm.
What to expect in the immediate aftermath of the storm: FPL will begin to restore power to customers as long as it’s safe to do so. Immediately following the storm, FPL will continue restoration and conduct damage assessments safely and as quickly as possible.
A word from FPL President and CEO Armando Pimentel: “While Tropical Storm Idalia’s ultimate intensity and forecast track remain uncertain, we are prepared for whatever this system brings our way and we are ready to meet this challenge. We will quickly continue working as soon as it is safe to do so and won’t stop until every customer is restored. Please take the time now to ensure you and your family are prepared.”
Visuals to download:
- Video: FPL crews trimming trees in North Port, Florida.
- Video: FPL preparing equipment ahead of Idalia
- Photos: FPL crews trimming trees in North Port, Florida.
How FPL communicates during a storm:
- FPL website: FPL.com
- Twitter: twitter.com/insideFPL
- Facebook: facebook.com/FPLconnect
- FPL Power Tracker: FPL.com/powertracker
- FPL Power Tracker (Northwest Florida): FPL.com/mypowertracker
- FPL app: Download from the App Store or Google Play, or text the word “App” to MyFPL (69375)
How to reach us: