JUNO BEACH, Fla., Jan. 22, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE) has once again been ranked No. 1 overall among electric and gas utilities on Fortune's 2018 list of the "Most Admired Companies" – the 11th time in 12 years. NextEra Energy, whose principal subsidiaries are Florida Power & Light Company (FPL) and NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, also ranked among the top 20 companies worldwide across all industries for innovation, people management, use of corporate assets, social responsibility and long-term investment value.
"As America's third-largest capital investor in infrastructure, we're investing billions of dollars annually while also creating thousands of jobs and providing our customers with affordable, reliable and clean energy," said NextEra Energy Chairman and CEO Jim Robo. "I'm pleased that our company continues to be recognized as a leader within our industry, as well as ranked among the top 20 companies worldwide for people management, use of corporate assets, social responsibility, long-term investment value and, in particular, innovation. We have implemented several emerging technologies to further improve customer experience, enhance reliability and optimize new development projects. We are committed to continuous improvement in everything we do and work to identify opportunities to adopt new technology to benefit our customers, stakeholders and employees. This recognition is a testament to our employees' passion, hard work and relentless commitment to excellence each and every day."
NextEra Energy ranked first among electric and gas utilities for eight of the nine rated attributes, including innovation, people management, use of corporate assets, social responsibility, quality of management, financial soundness, long-term investment value and quality of products/services.
Highlights for NextEra Energy include:
- Leading the world in wind and solar energy – NextEra Energy is the largest generator in the world of renewable energy from the wind and sun.
- Investing in American infrastructure – NextEra Energy is the third-largest capital investor in infrastructure and planning to invest $40 billion through 2020.
- Providing outstanding value for shareholders – In 2017, NextEra Energy delivered total shareholder return of 34 percent that far exceeded both the S&P 500 and the S&P 500 Utility Index.
- Respecting our environment – NextEra Energy's emissions rates of carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide and nitrogen are substantially better than the U.S. electric sector averages.
- Providing outstanding customer value – FPL continues to strengthen and deliver a customer value proposition that includes high reliability, award-winning customer service, a clean emissions profile and a typical residential customer bill that is among the lowest in the nation.
- Responding to unprecedented natural disasters – FPL restored service to 4.4 million customers affected by Hurricane Irma just 10 days after the massive storm exited its service area in September 2017. It was the fastest restoration of the largest number of people by any one utility in U.S. history. Now, nearly 150 FPL lineworkers and staff members are supporting the restoration effort in Puerto Rico, where hundreds of thousands of people remain without electric service following Hurricane Maria.
Fortune's industry rankings are based on the results of an independent global survey of thousands of senior executives, directors and analysts who are asked to rate companies in their industry based on nine attributes, including innovation, people management, use of corporate assets, social responsibility, quality of management, financial soundness, long-term investment value, quality of products/services and global competitiveness.
View the complete results for Fortune's 2018 list of the "Most Admired Companies."
NextEra Energy, Inc.
NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE) is a leading clean energy company with consolidated revenues of approximately $16.2 billion, approximately 45,900 megawatts of generating capacity, which includes megawatts associated with noncontrolling interests related to NextEra Energy Partners, LP (NYSE: NEP), and approximately 14,700 employees in 30 states and Canada as of year-end 2016. Headquartered in Juno Beach, Florida, NextEra Energy's principal subsidiaries are Florida Power & Light Company, which serves approximately 5 million customer accounts in Florida and is one of the largest rate-regulated electric utilities in the United States, and NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, which, together with its affiliated entities, is the world's largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun. Through its subsidiaries, NextEra Energy generates clean, emissions-free electricity from eight commercial nuclear power units in Florida, New Hampshire, Iowa and Wisconsin. A Fortune 200 company and included in the S&P 100 index, NextEra Energy has been recognized often by third parties for its efforts in sustainability, corporate responsibility, ethics and compliance, and diversity, and has been ranked No. 1 in the electric and gas utilities industry in Fortune's 2018 list of "World's Most Admired Companies." For more information about NextEra Energy companies, visit these websites: www.NextEraEnergy.com, www.FPL.com, www.NextEraEnergyResources.com.
SOURCE NextEra Energy, Inc.