NextEra Energy establishes carbon dioxide emissions rate reduction target as part of its commitment to creating a sustainable energy future
JUNO BEACH, Fla., Sept. 6, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE) today announced that it has established a target for the reduction of the company's carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions rate. Since 2001, the company has reduced its CO2 emissions rate by 52 percent, and it plans to continue this commitment by establishing a target to reduce the rate more than 65 percent by 2021.
"NextEra Energy is committed to creating a sustainable energy future and providing customers with electricity that is affordable, reliable and clean," said Jim Robo, chairman and chief executive officer of NextEra Energy. "We're one of the cleanest energy companies in America, and the world's largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun. We've been reducing emissions for decades through the development of renewable energy and modernizing our generation fleet. Through our significant investments in energy infrastructure, we're shaping how energy is produced and delivered, putting tens of thousands of Americans to work, providing significant economic benefits to the communities we serve and delivering value for our customers, employees and shareholders – all while protecting and conserving the environment."
NextEra Energy has published its annual sustainability report, which is now available on NextEraEnergy.com/Sustainability. The report includes performance-based data regarding NextEra Energy's environmental and social activities in 2017, as well as highlights the company's leadership in renewable energy and battery storage, significant investments in infrastructure, reduction in greenhouse gas emissions, commitment to providing a safe and challenging workplace and focus on innovation and continuous improvement.
The annual sustainability report includes metrics and stories in the following categories:
- Respecting the environment: NextEra Energy has one of the lowest emissions profiles of any electric company in North America. In 2017, NextEra Energy achieved its lowest-ever emissions rates of carbon dioxide (CO2), sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxide (NOx) – rates that were substantially better than the U.S. electric sector averages. In addition, the company was recently recognized by Fortune among the top 25 companies globally that "Change the World" in recognition for its leadership in renewable energy.
- Outstanding customer value: NextEra Energy is committed to providing its customers with clean energy that is both affordable and reliable. Since 2001, the company's investments in infrastructure have saved customers more than $9.3 billion by making its power plants more efficient, therefore using less fuel to generate electricity.
- Sustaining communities: As part of our Power to Care volunteer program, our employees contributed more than 88,000 hours in 2017 to their local communities through company-sponsored projects and personal volunteer time.
- Investing in the team: NextEra Energy employees spent more than 1.1 million hours in 2017 growing their skills, completing nearly 870,000 individual training sessions throughout our NextEra University and other venues.
- Growing shareholder value: NextEra Energy has a long-term track record of delivering value to shareholders. The company achieved a 10-year total shareholder return through Dec. 31, 2017, of 221 percent.
In addition, NextEra Energy is participating in a voluntary industry initiative, coordinated by the Edison Electric Institute (EEI), to provide investors with more uniform and consistent environmental, social, governance and sustainability data and information. The template, which is now available on NextEraEnergy.com/Investors, is the first and only industry-focused and investor-driven environmental, social and governance reporting framework.
To learn more about NextEra Energy's commitment to sustainability and to view the entire sustainability report, visit NextEraEnergy.com/Sustainability.
NextEra Energy, Inc.
NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE) is a leading clean energy company with consolidated revenues of approximately $17.2 billion, operates approximately 46,790 megawatts of net generating capacity and employs approximately 14,000 people in 33 states and Canada as of year-end 2017. Headquartered in Juno Beach, Florida, NextEra Energy's principal subsidiaries are Florida Power & Light Company, which serves approximately 5 million customer accounts in Florida and is one of the largest rate-regulated electric utilities in the United States, and NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, which, together with its affiliated entities, is the world's largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun and a world leader in battery storage. Through its subsidiaries, NextEra Energy generates clean, emissions-free electricity from eight commercial nuclear power units in Florida, New Hampshire, Iowa and Wisconsin. A Fortune 200 company and included in the S&P 100 index, NextEra Energy has been recognized often by third parties for its efforts in sustainability, corporate responsibility, ethics and compliance, and diversity. NextEra Energy is ranked No. 1 in the electric and gas utilities industry on Fortune's 2018 list of "World's Most Admired Companies" and ranked among the top 25 on Fortune's 2018 list of companies that "Change the World." For more information about NextEra Energy companies, visit these websites: www.NextEraEnergy.com, www.FPL.com, www.NextEraEnergyResources.com.
SOURCE NextEra Energy, Inc.